How to Stay Hydrated in the Summer Heat
We all know how important it is to stay hydrated throughout the day, especially when exercising. With the warm temperatures sneaking up on us and summer right around the corner, it is even more important to make sure you are drinking enough fluids every day. Sweating causes your body to lose water, and if you do not replenish the water your body loses, you will become dehydrated. When you drink fluids during and after your exercise routine, you are replenishing the water you have lost. Before I get into tips on how to stay hydrated during the summer, I think it’s important to realize when our body is dehydrated.
Signs of Dehydration During Exercise:
Dry, Sticky Mouth
Dizziness or lightheadedness (especially during or after exercise)
These are all signs that you could be dehydrated during your workout. If you are able to use a heart monitor during your workout, do it. It can help you understand how your body is responding to the intensity of the workout. I use the MyZONE belt offered at 9Round. It helps me see my heart rate from beginning to end, and it is so easy to calculate my resting heart rate by using it! So, if you are able to use a heart rate monitor during your workouts and notice your heart rate is higher than normal, it could be a sign that you are thirsty.
How to Stay Hydrated During Exercise
- Always begin your workout well-hydrated. Remember to replenish your fluids before, during and after your workout.
- Eat your fruits! Many fruits contain various levels of water and potassium, which is great for fueling our bodies after an intense workout.
- Stay hydrated throughout the entire day. This is the best way to avoid gulping down tons of water before your workout (and unwanted stops during your exercise routine).
- Set a goal. (No, not a fitness goal! Although that is also important step in motivating your fitness journey.) I am talking about a goal for water intake. I aim to drink half of my body weight in ounces each day. There are days that I don’t reach that number, but I always get pretty close. Give it a try!
- Plan ahead by packing. How do you make sure you have plenty of water? Pack it with you! You can never have too much water handy.
- Don’t forget your electrolytes. Water is the best source of fluid to hydrate our bodies, but sports drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, etc.) will help replenish the electrolytes we lose from sweating.
- Be cautious of alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can lead to dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic, and does not support your fitness goals one bit. While it’s best to avoid alcohol as a general rule, you especially don’t want to overindulge in alcohol, If you do consume alcohol, be careful of how much you consume!
Proper hydration is important and very SIMPLE - drink enough fluids. Follow the tips above to help ensure your body stays hydrated throughout the season. It’s going to be a HOT SUMMER!
Are you interested in more information on the MyZONE belt mentioned in my article? Check out www.9Round.com and find a location near you.
You are already subscribed to this author. Unsubscribe