Top 9 exercises you’re not doing but should be!!
I’ve seen a million top ten lists about exercises you should do, and have found that the majority of them are the same! Everyone knows they should be squats, pushups, and burpees, but what about exercises that will help you in real life situations? Over the course of my time training at 9Round I have found some great exercises that have really helped my client’s fitness transformation, as well as their quality of life!
The most common workout related injuries involve the shoulder joint, the back, and knees. More often than not, these injuries are due to bad form and not knowing how the joints actually work. Try these to really help with pain management, not to mention for better posture!
TOP 9 EXERCISES
1. Scapular Retractions - Stand with your back on a wall and have your feet about shoulder width apart. Lean onto the wall and use three points of contact: Your upper back, glutes, and your head. Bring your hands up in a “Y” shape and try to keep contact with your arms. From there, while keeping contact with the wall, bring your arms down in a “W” shape, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
2. Hip Bridge –Lay on your back with knees bent and feet on the floor. Push through your heels, squeeze your glutes and bring your hips up in a strait line with your shoulder. Keep everything flexed and hold for 20-30 seconds, and repeat.
3. Bird Dog – Start out on all fours with a flat back and head down. Start by lifting one arm out strait while also lifting the opposite leg out strait. Keep your hips square to keep from rounding your back. Hold for a few seconds and repeat other side.
4. The Dart - Lie on your stomach with your arms at your sides. Stretch the top of your head and feet in upwards until your upper body, legs and feet are off the floor. Reach toward your heels, and pull your shoulder blades down towards your feet. Keep your arms straight and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Hold for 10-15 seconds and relax, then repeat.
5. Dead Bugs – Lay on your back with arms up straight and knees and hips at 90 degrees. Keeping your back pinned to the ground, slowly lower one arm and opposite leg. Hold for a few seconds and repeat on the other side.
6. Nordic Hamstring Curl – This is a partner assisted exercise. Lay flat on your stomach. Next contract your hamstrings and glutes to lift yourself off the ground! Make sure to keep a straight line with your body from shoulder to knee.
7. Inchworm - Stand with your feet at hip width. Hinge your waist forward and touch the floor with your palms, bend your knees if necessary. Walk your hands forward until you are supporting all your weight on your hands and toes. Make sure to keep your body in a straight line! Hold this position for a few seconds, and then walk your feet forward to meet your hands. Keep your palms on the floor and bend your knees if necessary.
8. Wipers – Lay on your back with your legs up straight in the air. Keeping your back and shoulders pinned to the ground, slowly bring your legs down towards the ground to either the right or left, almost touch the ground, then repeat on the other side.
9. Superman – Lay flat on your stomach with your arms out straight, making yourself as long as you can. Contract your back, hamstrings, and glutes and lift your upper body and legs off the ground. Hold for a few seconds, relax, and repeat!
You are already subscribed to this author. Unsubscribe