Twice-Baked Chicken & Thyme Sweet Potatoes
Feb 14, 2020
Servings: Makes 4 Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 5 oz. fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme + 4 sprigs for garnish
- Salt and Pepper
Step #1 – Bake the chicken and sweet potatoes.
- Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place on one side of a large sheet pan.
- Wash sweet potatoes and pierce each one multiple times with a knife or fork. Place them on the other side of the sheet pan with the chicken.
- Bake the sheet pan with chicken and potatoes at 400 degrees F for 60 minutes.
- After 20 minutes (or when the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F), remove chicken from pan. Shred chicken and set aside. Continue cooking sweet potatoes for the remaining 40 minutes.
Step #2 – Make the filling while the sweet potatoes are cooking.
- On the stovetop, bring a pan to medium heat. Add butter to the pan and allow it to melt.
- Add sliced onion to the pan and cook for 20-30 minutes until onions have caramelized. Stir occasionally.
- After the onions have finished cooking, add shredded chicken, spinach, thyme and a dash of salt to the pan. Stir until the spinach has wilted. Remove pan from heat and transfer the filling to a mixing bowl.
Step #3 – Stuff the potatoes.
- Once the sweet potatoes have finished cooking, or when they are soft on the inside, remove the sheet pan from the oven. Make a slit along the top of each potato and let them cool for about 5 minutes.
- Keeping the potato intact, carefully scoop out about 3/4 of the flesh of each potato and place it in the bowl with the rest of the filling. Mix well.
- Stuff the sweet potatoes with the filling mix. Place back in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Garnish with a sprig of thyme before serving.
Each stuffed potato provides approximately: 291 calories / 28g protein / 31g of carbohydrates / 6g fat