Our Fitness Blog
Staircase To Success: Follow These 11 Steps!
Here are some key steps you can follow that will help you reach your body fat percentage goals:
- Engaged consistency: sure, consistency with workouts is good; but engaged consistency is even better. During 9Round workouts, we do not just want to be present and show up for the workout. Rather, we want to be fully engaged during each rep, each round and each 30sec active recovery in between each round and be sure we are working out in the right heart rate zone. During your 9Round workout, forget about everything during these 30 minutes… Work, family, kids, etc.; this is your time to work on you. When you are fully engaged during each rep and each round, you will get the most out of each workout. Have an amazing workout!
- Sleep, sleep, sleep: getting the proper sleep each night, at least 7 hours, is one of the main keys for body composition change. Poor sleep will cause serotonin, a hormone and neurotransmitter that will affect mood and appetite, to drop. When serotonin levels are low, this can lead to food cravings… Food cravings then lead to binge eating… And binge eating leads to increases in body fat and body weight.
- Feed the body, don't starve the body: sure, conventional thinking tells us that in order to lose body fat we need to eat less; but, eating less puts our body in a major calorie deficit. When the body is “starved” it will start to slow its metabolism. So, feed our body immediately upon awakening and then every 2.5-3.5 hours thereafter all throughout the day.
- Simulate, don't suppress: our goal is to stimulate our appetite, not suppress it. But, what do we read about so often? We see ads or TV commercials talking about supplements, etc., that will help to suppress your appetite so you will eat less. What?? In no way do we want to suppress our appetite. Hunger is a good sign. What does hunger mean? It means your metabolism is working, fantastic? So, how do we stimulate the appetite? We do this by feeding the body and not starving the body.
- Eat right, not just healthy: sure, we all know that eating healthy is good… Fruits, vegetables, salads, whole grains, etc.; but, eating healthy is not the key to success. Rather, eating “right” is the key to success. Eating right means that we are feeding the body immediately upon awakening and every 2.5-3.5 hours thereafter. Eating right means that we are feeding the body at least 5 times per day. Eating right means that at every meal/snack we have the proper balance of carbohydrate-protein-fat (details in your 9Round nutrition Journal).
- Water timing and frequency: drinking water is important, but what is even more important is the frequency and timing. Consuming x-amount of water per day is very similar to consuming x-amount of calories per day; it is not a matter of how much we consume, rather, how did we reach that total by days end. For example, let's say an individual has a goal of consuming 76 ounces of water in a day. And, let's say they, for whatever reason, want to do this by 2 PM, and then, not drink any more water the rest of the day. Well, the timing and frequency is very important, just like feeding the body. So, here is a very easy rule of thumb… Women need to consume at least 12 ounces of water immediately upon awakening, and then, a minimum of 12 ounces of water with every meals/snacks throughout the day (remember, we are feeding the body at least 5 times per day); men need to consume at least 16 ounces of water immediately upon awakening, and then, a minimum of 16 ounces of water with every meal/snack throughout the day.
- Control what you can control: all too often, individuals place a time frame goal with their body fat loss/weight loss goals. For example, individuals will say, “I want to lose 20 pounds of body fat in 3 months.” First off, I like to drive, determination and focus; don't lose this energy whatsoever. But, we cannot control how quickly the body loses body fat. Remember, we are trying to change one's physiology; we are building lean muscle in order to burn the body fat. As you can imagine, this takes time. And, individuals that are carrying excess body fat did not put this body fat on overnight. So, it is going to take some time. Therefore, let's not waste one ounce of energy on things outside of our control. How quickly we lose BF that is completely out of our control. But, what is in our control is how much we sleep, how much we work out, our water timing and frequency, our nutrient timing, our eating frequency, our balance of carbohydrate-protein-fat at every meal/snack; all of these things are completely within our control. So, let's simply put all of our focus and energy on these things, and then, we just have to let the body do its thing.
- Patience: I completely understand when individuals start to turn the corner in terms of their nutrition and fitness, they want results yesterday; I get that. Like I said earlier, I like to drive and determination. But, patience truly is the key. Remaining patient and is what will help to set you up for great success. And as the saying goes… Focus on the journey, not the destination.
- Switch the focus: understandably, when individuals begin to have laser-like focus on their fitness and nutrition, many times, the focus is on losing body fat/losing weight. Let's jump a few steps ahead and switch the focus from “losing” to “maintaining.” Here's what I mean; the reality is this… Losing weight is the “easy” part; but what the majority of individuals report is that once they have lost the weight, maintaining this has been the big struggle. This occurs for a number of reasons and this is why, first off, our focus needs to switch from weight loss to body fat loss (body fat loss is easy to maintain as compared to weight loss because typically, weight loss occurs from individuals engaging in food fads, diets, starvation, cleanses, etc.). In addition, when we focus on maintenance, we are already projecting success. We are already focused on making this a true lifestyle and not a 2-week food fad. As your body fat continues to drop, and as you continue to maintain these levels, you have already become a huge success.
- Change the verbiage: many times, we will hear individuals say things such as, “I have to lose weight.” Or, “I have to get my workout in today.” Let's start to change the “have to” to a “choose to" you will be amazed how this slight change in verbiage will have a positive impact. When we use the words “have to”, this puts a sense of anxiety and urgency on the situation. Often times, increasing our anxiety can increase cortisol levels in our body. When cortisol levels increase, this inhibits our body's ability to lose body fat. So, eating right, going to your 9Round workouts is something you “choose to” do, it is not something you have to do. When you start to make this verbiage change and you realize that this is truly a “choose to", you will find yourself much more relaxed and on the path to success. When we choose to do something it is much more fun, right? When we have to do something, it is never as much fun.
- Enjoy, have fun and focus on “what is”: I want you to enjoy every step of this nutrition and fitness journey. In addition, I want you to focus on “what is” as opposed to “what is not.” Here's a very common scenario… An individual loses an amazing 25 pounds of body fat. But, what is the typical verbiage you will hear from this individual? Here is a typical response, “I still have another 35 pounds to go.” Notice, where is their focus? Their focus is on “what is not”, as opposed to “what is.” The statement should be, “I have lost 25 pounds of body fat and I feel amazing; I cannot believe how much more energy I have, how much better I feel and how much more confidence I have.” It is statements like this that focus on the “what is.”
You are engaged in a very exciting 9Round workout and 9Round nutrition program. You are to be commended for your commitment to yourself, your fitness and nutrition. Enjoy every step of this journey and review the 11 steps above as these will help to keep you sharp, in the game and having fun the entire time!
Dr. Rick Kattouf II
2x Best-Selling Author
Named One Of The World Fitness Elite® Trainers Of The Year