Our Fitness Blog
Best Exercises to Combat Jiggly Arms
I absolutely love this warm weather, and it looks like this summer will definitely be a hot one! The scorching sun calls for swimsuits, tank tops and sleeveless shirts, so it’s important for me to get my arms in great shape. I think it’s safe to say we all desire to have sexy, sculpted arms along with those six pack abs. When it comes to toning or defining any part of the body, strength training is the way to get the results, whether it is to bulk up or lean down. Here are some of my favorite workouts that help me turn that stubborn fat in my arms into muscle!
Dumbbell Bicep Curls
I’m sure the majority of you are informed on how to perform this exercise. It’s simple, but it’s one of the best exercises to help strengthen and tone your biceps. Your biceps are highly visible muscles, so focusing on them will have a huge impact on the appearance of your arms. It’s important not to focus on the weight of the dumbbells, but on performing this exercise properly.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Hold a 5 lb. dumbbell (or whichever weight you are comfortable with) in front of the hips with your palms facing out.
- Curl your left hand toward your shoulder. Then lower it back down, while keeping your right arm parallel to the floor.
- Do 10 curls with your left arm and then switch to complete 10 curls with your right arm.
I also like to complete my bicep curls by alternating each arm. Either way, your biceps will be burning after your first set!
This may be hard to believe, but this workout truly gets my armpits sore! It’s sure to do the same for you!
- Lay flat on your back on an exercise bench or a bench with cushion underneath to support your back.
- Hold an 8 lb. dumbbell (Again use a weight you are comfortable with, but I suggest starting at a low weight.) in both hands with your arms extended over your chest.
- Slowly lower the weight behind your head and then slowly bring the weight back to the starting position.
- Complete 3 sets of 12 reps.
That’s right! We all love and hate push-ups at the same time. This exercise has always been great not just for strengthening your back and core, but it will tone your shoulders and triceps.
- Get into bridge position with your hands at a distance that is slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Your feet should be set in a position that feels right is most comfortable to you.
- Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor. (As you lower your body, embrace your core and do not let your hips drop! )
- Pause, then push back up to the starting position.
If you are not able to perform push-ups on your toes yet, DON’T WORRY! There are ways you can modify this exercise to fit your fitness level. Here is a great article that shows you a variation of ways you can do a push-up. https://www.9round.com/blog/secret-to-sexy-arms-in-4-weeks-or-less
I know what you’re thinking. “What is she talking about? This is not an exercise.” Punching the air may not be very effective, but punching heavy bags is sure to quickly and easily tone those arms of yours! Not only is kickboxing a full body workout, but the different types of punches used will definitely get your arms burning. I understand the big kickboxing gyms are intimidating, and that is why I go to 9Round. I had no experience when I started, but the trainer demonstrated every exercise for me.
Overhead Tricep Extension with Dumbbell
Don’t neglect your triceps! Not only does tricep exercises aid in your goal of sculpting your arms, but the strength and stability of your shoulders and elbows will increase as well.
- Stand up holding the dumbbell with both hands and position your feet about shoulder width apart.
- Slowly using both hands, lift the dumbbell over your head until your arms are completely extended.
- Keep your upper arms close to your head and your elbows in. Slowly lower the resistance behind your head until your forearms touch your biceps. Remember your upper arms should not move during this step.
- Bring the dumbbell back to starting position using your triceps.
- Repeat for 10 repetitions 3 times.
I have learned through personal experience that the key to getting the firm, sexy arms I desire is to work the arm muscles frequently and consistently. These workouts will focus on the different muscles needed to combat those jiggly arms!